Tuesday 5 July 2011

The shame, the irony!

I've got my hands on something I'm rather ashamed to own. I never thought I'd ever own one in my life. I got it as a very loving gift and it really means a lot! I'm grateful for it but at the same time ashamed. I guess this is called irony. Anyways, I'm a true gadget freak and can never part ways with any gadget I own. My old and beloved Nokia N-gage lying alongside my Dad's old Nokia 6610 in my top drawer speak for themselves!

So here we go, Lo and Behold!

The iPad 2 in all it's glory!
Yes, it's the iPad 2. My first Apple product. I've had my fair share of complaints about it so here goes..
  • It's truly a luxury, something that not everyone needs.
  • It's not as flawless as people claim it to be. It has it's fair share of glitches. Safari has crashed on me a couple of times (just did this morning). The touch screen has failed to respond a couple of times when I've taken it out of standby.
  • It's got no Facetime. The models being sold in the UAE come without Facetime. Ridiculous! Although there are good replacement apps available in the App Store like Yahoo! Messenger, Vtok (Gtalk for your iPad) and Fring.
  • The only workaround for the lack of Facetime is to jailbreak it and enable it via Cydia.
I'm still waiting for the Skype app for iPad to be released. I'm also waiting for the official Facebook app for the iPad to be released. These guys really need to up their game. These apps are now what everyone considers essential on their smartphone!

But wait, I'm not all complaints about the iPad 2.
  • Video conferencing is really great with it. I could give a virtual tour of the new flat I moved in to recently to my parents quite easily.
  • It's portability and big screen makes it really great for travelling. Watching shows and movies on it and surfing the web really kills time when on the move.
I'm sure I'll be able to add more to this list once the jailbreak has been released (hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed..come on Comex!). One thing I'd like to add is that it really needs a notification light like the ones Blackberry has - would be really helpful.

I'll be compiling and posting a list of apps that are great and useful once I get to play around with it a bit more. For now, I still have to get used to the fact that I actually own an iPad. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment